We kicked off the 2015 Art Lessons: Color Explorations with Gina Lee Kim, and what a ride it's been! Gina has shown us how to make the most of red, blue, green, and yellow in beautiful watercolor paintings with mixed-media techniques, incorporating easy ways to get incredible results.
A bonus was having Gina be so dedicated to her Facebook page followers on Art Lessons with Gina Lee Kim, and getting to know Gina's sense of humor. She's been so committed to making sure everyone achieved success with the lessons and having a great time doing them.
Now that we know what a funster Gina is, we thought it would be great to have her answer a few not-so-serious questions. So here we go!
1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what one art supply would you want to have with you?
My metal pencil case that includes a tiny DIY watercolor palette that I made out of an empty mint container. Metal parts come in handy for flashing SOS signals!
2. What are you superstitious about?
Running out of coffee.
3. When you were little, what did you want to be when you grew up?
A flight attendant.
4. Who is your celebrity crush?
Henry Cavill, aka Mr. McDreamy (second to my husband, of course).
5. What color do you never wear, and why?
Orange. Because I have long, thick, black hair, wearing orange would make it look like I worshiped Halloween colors all year round.
6. If you could travel back in time and meet one famous person, who would it be?
Leonardo da Vinci. He had the coolest sketchbooks!
7. Spill the (coffee) beans on this caffeine addiction of yours. How many cups a day?
One in the morning and one in the afternoon. A third cup late at night if there's a deadline looming!
8. What one art technique have you been dying to learn?
9. What type of music (if any) do you listen to when you're in your studio?
Calm and tranquil ambient music or New Age music. But it keeps getting interrupted with repeated "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Oh, Mr. Sun" requests by my preschooler.
10. How did you meet your husband?
The one place you're not supposed to meet your significant other–at work.
11. Did you make a New Year's resolution for 2015? Have you kept it?
What are New Year's resolutions?
12. What's your guilty pleasure TV show?
We decided to live without cable for a couple of years now. But I used to love E! Entertainment's "Fashion Police."
13. What's your favorite splurge food?
Hot, spicy Korean food.
14. If you could change one physical thing about yourself, what would it be?
My thick, black, bushy eyebrows. Beauty tip: Did you know that your dating life goes up–way up–if you get rid of your monobrow?
15. What's your favorite type of museum to visit?
16. How many sketchbooks do you have?
Around 18 or 20. I would like to reach 100 before I die.
17. What does your dream studio look like?
A beach house studio with lots and lots of windows, overlooking the ocean.
18. Triscuits or Wheat Thins?
19. What is your favorite color, or color palette? We promise we won't tell the other colors.
20. What was the best thing about being an Art Lessons artist?
My beautiful students! I am so proud of them! Our Facebook group is a growing community of courageous souls who want to keep learning and growing.
Thank you, Gina! (And we completely agree about the cheese puffs.) Don't miss our special bundle on Gina's four Art Lessons, plus an exclusive signed print! If you already have all of Gina's lessons you can get the print by itself.
Stay tuned for our next Art Lesson artist, Jenny Cochran Lee, as we continue to explore color!