Happy Valentine’s Day!
I’m pleased to tell you my older daughter loved the accordion-fold book I made and sent to her at college (and the Harry Potter stamps, too). I’m also embarrassed to say that I don’t have anything for my younger daughter who still lives at home-but the day isn’t over yet!
|Looking for easy gifts to make? You can whip up
this mixed-media art sachet in a few minutes.
I’m always collecting last-minute gift-making ideas, and this one is perfect: a Heart Full of Lavender sachet designed by Jenn Mason.
Meredith loves herbs and floral-scented pretties, and I have all the necessary materials. I bet you do, too, so it’s not too late to make easy handmade gifts for Valentine’s Day, like this one.
Heart Full of Lavender Sachet
- Fabric Spray paint (or other fabric paint)
- Gelatos or colored pencils that work on fabric
- Fine-point permanent marker
- Heart-shaped template
- Fabric (such as canvas or muslin)
- Embroidery thread and needle
- Lavender buds (or other dried herbs)
Note: If you don’t have dried herbs available, add a little cologne to a cotton ball and insert it into the sachet with some polyfil.
1. With 1 or 2 stencils and fabric paint, make designs on your fabric.
2. Add color here and there with gelatos or another permanent coloring supply.
3. Write a message with the fine-point marker.
4. When the fabric design is dry, use you template to cut out two pieces from your fabric (you may want to wait until this step to write your message).
5. Doodle-stitch here and there with your embroidery thread. (Jenn made a little heart.)
6. Place your heart-shaped fabrics wrong-sides together and use a close running stitch to join your heart pieces, leaving a small opening on the side.
7. Fill the heart with lavender buds and complete your stitching, burying the thread knot in-between the layers.
Jenn has made a little video for this handmade arts project so you can see her process and get her personal tips.
I know Meredith is going to love her sachet, and will probably want to make them for all her friends.
Here’s another last-minute gift idea–digital magazines. They’re perfect for the creative person in your life who is looking for ideas for art-making, their studio, or easy handmade gifts. Check out our digital magazine collection now.
P.S. What are your favorite homemade gift ideas? Leave a comment below (I’ll put them in my idea folder).