The summer calendar is filling up fast! And one not-to-be-missed event is the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, California, July 23-25 (Preview Night July 22). Yes, it is a quilt show, but mixed-media artists would be totally remiss to overlook this amazing event.
Not only can you get all kinds of inspiration from the many exhibits, you can replenish your stash, and most fun of all: take a workshop at Make It University!™. Once again, Cloth Paper Scissors will be coordinating Make It University!™ and we have some great workshops planned. A lot of our favorite artists from the pages of Cloth Paper Scissors will be there, teaching workshops and sharing their art with you in Open Studios. The workshops are run by lottery, with 25 students per class.
Check out the workshop schedule online at clothpaperscissors.com and plan accordingly. We are very happy to count Alisa Burke, Lisa Engelbrecht, Jamie Fingal, Leslie Jenison, Jane LaFazio, Jeannie Moore, and Judy Perez, among the teachers. Classes include everything from jewelry and creative art boxes, to metal accordion books, and much more.
If you want to preview the art and techniques of these artists, take a look at the Workshop DVDs and books at shop.clothpaperscissors.com. Here’s a sampling.
|By Jamie Fingal||By Judy Coates Perez||By Alisa Burke|
A few tips for a successful Make It University!™ (MIU) experience:
- Get to the MIU area early. Allow yourself enough time to put your name in all of the jars for the classes you are interested in attending without having to rush.
- Write your name legibly on the lottery slip or, as some creative people do, bring along some of your address labels to expedite the process. This makes the draw go faster and we won’t have to pass over someone because we can’t read their writing.
- Bring along an extra art tote to put your creations in. You wouldn’t want your artwork in with your purchases.
- Throw a few re-sealable plastic bags into the art tote to protect your creations.
- If you have some “signature” items or products that you just have to include in every piece of art you create, bring them with you. You will get a kit with every workshop you attend and scissors will be provided, but sometimes you need that little something extra to make the piece of art truly your own.
- Wipes are a really handy item to have in your purse or tote for a fast and easy cleanup.
- Be sure to bring your ATCs (artist trading cards), fabric postcards, inchies, mixed-media charms and pendants, and other small pieces of art for our Trading Post. Just think of all of the fun pieces you can add to your inspiration wall at home.
- Plan ahead and remember the basics: comfortable shoes, portable snacks, water, and a relaxed state of mind. You can’t help but have fun!
Make sure you check out the Quilting Arts booth and the displays of reader art, too.
Long Beach is the place to be in July!
P.S. You also have a second chance to see these great teachers, and more, at CREATE in Chicago, August 25-29. CREATE Link- http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?e=8df45474-292a-464b-9544-df5919cbc630 www.clothpaperscissorsretreat.com