Just in time for Valentine’s Day, here’s a step-by-step paper art project for making a heart-shaped wreath! Julie Fei-Fan Balzer never ceases to amaze me with her creative ideas. I think you’ll really enjoy this project.
Our valentine gift to you is 30% off in the Interweave Store with the coupon code 30SWEET. Use it now through February 14 on books and DVDs from Julie, as well as books and DVDs from all of your other favorite mixed-media artists!
Paper Art Idea: How to Make Paper Feathers by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
- Book pages
- Washi tape
- Craft wire
- Matte medium
- Craft scissors or wire snips
- Heavy-duty adhesive
Note: Protect your work surface with plastic or a Teflon® sheet so the feathers won’t stick as you make them.
1. Cut a basic feather shape from a book page. (Figure 1)
2. Adhere washi tape to the feather shape, focusing it along what will become the spine of the feather and in other select areas. Wrap the tape around the edges of the feather shape in places where the tape extends over the edge. (Figure 2) The washi tape adds strength to the book page so that it doesn’t tear when you adhere the wire spine to it.
3. Apply a thin coat of matte medium with your fingers (or a paintbrush if you want) to both sides of the feather to ensure that the washi tape stays in place. Allow to dry.
4. Cut a piece of craft wire slightly longer than the feather. Most craft wire can be cut with scissors. You can also use wire snips.
5. Apply Glossy Accents (or another heavy-duty adhesive) along the wire. Press the wire to the back side of the feather shape. (Figure 3)
6. Flip the feather shape over so that the wire is against the work surface. Use your fingernails to press along both sides of the wire, through the front of the book page, creating a groove for the wire to sit in.
7. Flip the feather over and let dry.
8. Once the wire has dried in place, use the scissors to cut angled fringe along the edges, thus creating the feather. (Figure 4)
9. Shape a piece of armature wire into a heart. Fasten the ends together by creating a loop at each end and then wrapping the loose ends around each other.
10. Attach the individual feathers to the wire heart by wrapping the ends of their wire spines around the armature.
11. Fill the wreath with feathers until you’re happy with the results. You can play with the look of the feathers by bending and layering them.
Isn’t this a wonderful paper art project? I love it, and I can’t wait to see your results. Share your wreaths with us in the online gallery, and don’t forget to use the code 30SWEET when you treat yourself to new mixed-media art techniques in the Interweave Store!
Wishing you a Happy Valentine’s Day,
Learn new paper art projects in this free eBook when you join our newsletter for daily tips, special offers, and more!