I just found out today that you can preorder the 2011 Cloth Paper Scissors Calendar that was created by 13 fabulous mixed-media artists who entered our Calendar Call for art last fall, which got me thinking about our Challenges.
I wish I could send each of you a personal invitation and reminders about our challenges. We have them all year long in our magazine, as well as our yearly calendar challenge, our search for Artisans, and an occasional call for art in the online community, and Cloth Paper Scissors social media outlets (like Facebook and Twitter.)
Often time slips by and you forget about that really interesting challenge you read about last month. I know, I was a reader just like you. I let the challenges pass me by—I always forgot or ran out of time. So think of today’s blog as a public service announcement. Our message? Enter our Challenges!
Over the next few weeks we’ll be focusing on a few different challenges to help remind you. Here in the office we’re currently sorting through the “A Haunting We Will Go” finalist’s artwork. It’s perfectly creepy!
Holiday Gift Swap
And, although it’s just June—the waning days of Spring, we’re already collecting “Holiday Gift” swap art. This is a challenge you don’t want to miss. We’ll share a few or our favorites in the November/December issue but all participants will also receive the gift of another artist’s work! Think of it as a great big holiday gift exchange.
This is a piece I created for a winter art show and how I made it:
1. Paint an old bingo card with glazes.
Here are a few of the specifics for this challenge so you can participate today:
the rules (in a nutshell)
- Create an original, mixed-media gift no larger than 5" × 7" × 1" and less than 1lb. Only one gift per person, please.
- Must be free of any copyright, unless you have the expressed written permission.
- Mix your media.
- Attach a card with your name and email address to the back of your gift.
- Take a photo of your gift and include a copy with your submission.
- Upload the image of your “Winter Holiday Gift” entry to our photo gallery.
- Include an entry fee of $6 (U.S. and Canada) and $10 (all other international), to cover postage and handling.
- Your gift must be in our offices by Monday, August 2, 2010. We will swap the gifts and mail them out no later than the week of September 27, 2010.
note: If you have any questions, contact Barbara Delaney at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your first and last names and your contact information in all email correspondence. Click here for the complete rules.
We’re really excited about the results from our “Make it Pretty” calendar contest. You can now pre-order your own copy for a year’s worth of inspiration. You could even add the dates and reminders for all of the 2011 challenges to your new calendar. We’ll be including the Judges Choice calendars in the September/October issue so make sure you take a look.
Do you have a suggestion for an upcoming challenge? Don’t be shy, let us know in the comments section! I look forward to seeing your entries in all of our upcoming challenges!