cloth paper scissors november/december 2010

Meet Ruth Rosner and her wonderful found object women. Learn how to make fabulous fabric boxes and try making a wintery wonderland with quirky wire houses. Experiment with embossing on metal tape and play with stencils and foil. Create a faux leather journal and celebrate the holiday with crepe paper garlands. Take a look at the results of our Mixed-media Winter Holiday Gift Swap and be inspired by a papier-mache and thrift-store mash up. Devlve into the In the Mix department for a look at "shiny things", new products and our On Our Radar artist spotlight.

about this issue

Video Alert!

We know you love videos, and so do we! We're introducing a new feature to make some of the more intricate techniques easier to learn.

Whenever you see this icon, look under Free Stuff to watch a video of the process.  We hope you enjoy watching!

contents

Barbara Delaney

An Artist’s Journey
Loretta Benedetto Marvel

projects and techniques

Shimmering Ornaments
Beryl Taylor
Add glitz to your holidays

Tiny Boxes
Jane LaFazio
With fused collage

Quirky Cookie Houses
Andrea Ockey Parr

Crepe Circles
Juliet Marsh

Faux Leather Journals
Sue Bleiweiss
paper bags get a makeover

Papier-Mache & Thrift Store Mash Up
Denise Litchfield

departments

musings

who did this?

the in-box

In The Mix
This is in, Now Read This, A Look at...Shiny Things, and On Our Radar

Popping the Question:
Do you use store-bought or handmade gift wrap during the holidays?

Muse Flash
A pastiche of creative inspiration

Reader Challenge Announcement:
“Winter Holiday Gift Swap"

Marketplace

Classifieds

Ad Index

Homework
Tips, prompts, ideas, and more from this issue’s artists

Comments

cindylee4 wrote
on 26 Oct 2010 9:34 AM

love the beryl taylor ornaments in the new issue and cannot wait to make some. where do i get the metal tape she refers to? i checked my local hardware store and I received that glazed over look from the male clerk like I couldn't possibly know what I was looking for....  thanks for the help. cindylee

on 26 Oct 2010 11:46 AM

My copy just arrived yesterday. I love the projects and attention to detail step outs on all the articles. But what I found particularly sweet were the little "send a WISH" pins in the homework section on page 97. In fact, all the little tidbit ideas in this section are great, quick, easy and do-able! I hope that you expand this section in future issues. Hats off to the contributors of these inspiring "can do" art snippets!

verahoriuchi wrote
on 15 Nov 2010 11:41 AM

I checked a couple of local craft supply stores and can't find the metal tape referred to in the "Shimmering Ornaments" article. Any hints on where to find it?

mayhemmom wrote
on 24 Nov 2010 7:36 AM

I am looking for metal tape also! All I find is the copper tape for stained glass...Having my friends over for Arts and Appetizers at my house soon, so I need a resource for this....

taey wrote
on 27 Nov 2010 3:58 AM

I found silver-colored metal tape at Home Depot or Lowes (can't remember which one.) It is used for holding together aluminum/ metal AC ducts. It may be called "duct tape" not to be confused with the other duct/duck tape which is plastic not metal.

I think I found it in a tape section with a bunch of other tapes. I wish I had a subscription- I would love to see this issue!! well, hopefully soon!!

emorris960 wrote
on 7 Dec 2010 12:06 PM

You can get metal tape at Home Depot.  Ask for foil tape (they seem to know this as foil tape for some reasons).

on 25 Dec 2010 9:45 AM

I made the Faux leather journals for christmas presents and everyone loved them !  Thank you for such a wonderful magazine.  As an artist I crave the inspiration that comes with every issue.  Marisa

p.s. i found metal tape at Michaels Craft store

www.michaels.com

mayhemmom wrote
on 29 Dec 2010 10:35 AM

I recently moved to a small town. In the "city", I had a group of women that would come for "Arts and Appetizers" and we would focus on projects from "Cloth, Paper, Scissors". This was great, play time that my friends and I loved!

In my new home, I had my first "Arts and Appetizers" and we did the Christmas ornaments. What a fun time for everyone to get to know others they may have heard of but not met! I had people there that weren't even invited! The ornaments were fantastic and those that were "doubters" made an ornament that was fabulous!

Can't wait to see what the next issue will bring! Thanks!

CRE8TE wrote
on 19 Jan 2011 5:21 PM

I missed the nov/dec 2010 issue. Is there anyway I can obtain the instructions for Beryl Taylor's shimmering ornaments?