How to finish mixed media pieces?

This post has 6 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
lpillinois wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 2:14 PM

Hello! I am using acrylic paint on canvas and (on a separate piece a hard board canvas (not sure what this is technically called). I am unsure on how to finish these. I like the high gloss look, but can I use that on pieces that may combine cardboard, other thick papers, fabrics, sometimes beads?

Will I have to use a spray gloss finish or can I use a liquid?

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on 3 Jan 2013 4:39 PM

I am not sure if this answers your question but I have looked at Craft stamper magazine and know that they have featured peces of art work using canvas and acrylic paints.Its a great magazine I buy it and wont give them away!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on 3 Jan 2013 4:42 PM

Have a look at Craft Stamper magazine I know that it has featured pices of art work using acrylic paints and canvas and know that they have used Black Gesso.Its a great magazine have a look online.... good luck

Not Ranked
Posts 1
artzrjk wrote
on 24 Jan 2013 6:15 PM

I have been using spray enamel (clear, available in Matt and Gloss) to seal and finish my artwork for over a decade now. It's the same stuff they sell for repairing cars. It doesn't yellow (in fact I have one piece I sealed in 1991 and it have hung it near my front door (not direct sunlight :) and it hasn't faded or yellowed). It smells bad, you have to spray it outside on a still day, and light coats are better because they don't run. Hope this helps:)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Victoria70 wrote
on 25 Jan 2013 9:31 PM

I love using gloss gel medium, it works great as a glue, and you can brush it over to leave a gloss finish, I have mixed just a little acrylic and metalic paints and had great results

Not Ranked
Posts 1
CindySilver wrote
on 26 Jan 2013 3:01 PM

I use Liquitex acrylic paints and mediums, and supplement with some Golden products.  For a protective finish on an acrylic painting, there are several choices.  You can use matte medium and gloss medium alone or in combination to achieve various degrees of matte or gloss appearance.  Gloss brings out the colors more than matte. I usually use about 1-3 thin layers.   I wouldn't use more than 3 layers of matte because it can get  cloudy if you put on too much.  There is also permanent matte varnish, and if you have really valuable work, there is removable matte varnish for work that might need cleaning sometime in the future.  There is a lot of information on the labels, which takes much of the mystery out of how to use these kinds of products.  

Not Ranked
Posts 8
LCBourdo wrote
on 9 Feb 2013 4:04 PM

I use liquid or spray varnish, depending on the materials.  Watercolors and water-based inks smear, for example, so I would use spray varnish.

I use matte and gloss mediums for applying and coating papers and lightweight ephemera, but I live in a highly humid area, and they can remain or become tacky depending on the weather, unless I finish with varnish.

You can get liquid varnish from Liquitex and Golden, and the spray varnish from the hardware store works just fine -- have never had a problem with yellowing.

One last thought - I have used water-based polyurethane sealer on large projects with heavier ephemera and embellishments.  Highly glossy, and very hardy.

Peace,

Laura B

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS