Found Objects

For this challenge, I utilized "found objects" I had laying around the house. I decided to use a neutral, tonal palette for my first foray into fabric designing. I took an old, what I think is linen, tablecloth and dyed it using a mixture of brewed coffee and tea. After a quick wash, dry and iron, I was ready for step 2. I took a coffee cup sleeve, like the ones you get from Starbucks (a weakness of mine) and painted the ridged side with an acrylic paint called Desert Sand. I proceeded to stamp the fabric in alternating directions, leaving space in between the patterns. I then dipped various clock gears into acrylic, Warm White and stamped the gears onto the fabric. I felt that the Warm White a little too neutral so I added detail by using fine point metallic gold and silver paint pens to finish the piece. I thoroughly enjoyed this exercise and can't wait to receive other cloth treasures in the mail. This fabric was inspired by steampunk, vintage style.


Reader Challenges (Past)

One thought on “Found Objects

  1. I really like the way you have used such interesting found objects, and the colours really suit.  Who would have thought you could get that great pattern from a coffee cup!


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.